Friday, June 10, 2011

Every Day I Need Attention


I’ve lived in Edina since 1972, when my parents built their modest dream home on Tifton Drive on the west side of Highway 100, complete with a purple-shag-carpeted bedroom I could call my very own.   It was the '70s, after all.  Along with that resident status came years of enduring the typical Edina razzing from people living outside our community, including my all-time favorite question, always delivered with a proud smile by someone thinking they were the first to ask:  Do you know what EDINA stands for? 

Why yes, I do.  Every Day I Need Attention.

And I’m not ashamed to admit it.  As the mom of two children, ages 11 and 14, I have appreciated the attention given to my kids on a regular basis within the Edina public school system, and will be eternally grateful to the unsung heroes who have been so considerate toward our family. On this last day of school I reflect on our experiences of the past year, and know we will never forget the attention paid from… 

… Lee Stalwick, the patient bus driver who knows where we live and takes the time to glance toward our house before he drives on in the morning to ensure we aren’t making a mad dash out the front door - shoes and breakfast in hand - because of a missed alarm.  

… Mrs. Nuckley, a favorite eighth-grade South View science teacher, who recognizes when a student needs a morale boost (or a break from the lunchroom jungle) and invites them to a VIP lunch in her classroom.

… the motherly lunch ladies who know the limits we have set on our kid’s accounts and gently remind them they can’t purchase more than one giant chocolate chip cookie each day. 

… Mr. Sigmund, a dedicated government teacher at South View, who volunteers his time after school for months upon months so that any ninth grade student wishing to take the AP Government test will be adequately prepared to so, and then treats all those kids to a pizza lunch to celebrate their hard work after they complete the exam.

… Elton Johnson, the custodian at Highlands who remembers that the lone black boot with the pink stripe in the lost-and-found bin belongs to a certain fifth grader who is prone to losing things, and who tucks it back into her locker before she even knows it is missing.

I could go on and on, and hope to do so in future editions of the Edina Mill.  Not because I need attention, but rather because I believe there are special people who exhibit everyday kindness in our school district and who deserve the spotlight.  How lucky we are to now have a forum to give them the attention they deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Community Gathering of Stories about Edina Public Schools