Tuesday, August 2, 2011

May They Bloom and Grow



Like many Edina families, we have a small yard. 0.15 acres, to be exact. But, within this tiny plot, I have been amazed this season by the symphony of change that has been orchestrated. First, an April appearance of pink blossoms on the crabapple tree. Next, a few May weeks of fragrant purple lilacs. Enter in a couple June weeks of blazing pink peonies. And now, the bursts of Hydrangea.

These blooming moments have been fleeting. Favorite flowers make their appearances, then leave us within weeks. During their peaks I try to soak them in, appreciate their beauty. I know they come in phases and won't stay for long. 

I guess our children aren't much different? Recently, my mom and I got into an interesting discussion. She said if she could have just one wish, she would ask to go back in time and spend a day with my sisters and me at each age and stage of our childhoods. While mothering four children, the days sometimes seemed long to her. But she says the years were in fact short. Very short.

My oldest son, J.J., turns eight-years-old tomorrow. At 5:59am, to be exact. The 5:59am moment of his arrival was breath-taking. I never knew I could love anyone so much. I am feeling sentimental.  How could that little 8-pounder now be eight years old? He seems so different lately. He is now big enough to hit a 40-mph baseball. He can make it on a 15-mile bike ride around the lakes. He helped his tentative mom ski down a black diamond in Colorado. He tells a mean joke. And, he shows me how to work features on my iPhone. 

Like the hydrangea, he is entering into yet another fleeting phase of his childhood. With every different age and stage, he has revealed more of himself--who he is and glimpses of what he is to become.  I am excited about what is in store for him this year. And, feeling a bit sad about leaving age seven behind.

So, I leave us parents with a wish and a few quotes to reflect on. May we soak in the "seasonality" of our children, realize that each stage is fleeting, that they are constantly growing and changing. And, may all of these changes come bearing gifts.

"We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves." -Lynn Hall
"Change always comes bearing gifts." - Price Pritchett
"Change may come to you in trinkets and I hope it adorns your life gracefully." - Dodinsky
"Growth is the only evidence of life." -John Henry Newman

Jen Dewing

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Community Gathering of Stories about Edina Public Schools